A domain name is a digital address for your website. Being a business owner, it’s crucial for you to have an online presence for which it’s necessary to get a domain name.
Every business is focusing on digitalization. According to Verisign, the second quarter of 2021 had an increase of 3.8 million domain name registrations compared to the first quarter. It closed with 367.3 million domain name registrations across all top-level domains (TLDs).
Choosing the perfect domain name for your website requires some analysis and research. Just be attentive while making a decision as this will play a significant role in the future performance of your website, online business or blog.
The process of domain registration is quite simple and straightforward. Just be clear about the following 5 major steps
Steps to get a Domain Name
The first and foremost thing to do is to make sure that your chosen domain name is specific to you as well as explains the core of your business. Other steps in the process are discussed below.
1. Search for a Trusted Domain Registrar
Finding a reliable domain registrar is as critical as maintaining a good reputation for your business. During your search, you might be overwhelmed with the number of domain registrars out there, it’s recommended to consider the following aspects before choosing your domain name provider:
- Domain Transfer Policy: Always review transfer policies to make sure that the chosen registrar supports domain name transfer.
- Free Basic Privacy Protection: Choose a domain name provider who offers basic privacy protection for free to make sure your personal data is not displayed in WHOIS directory.
- Domain Expiration Policy: Always choose a registrar offering domain auto-renewal services.
- Add-on Services: Prefer registrars offering add-on services like Full Domain Privacy & Protection.
- Pricing: Avoid choosing registrars that offer low 1st year cost and massive price increase for renewal.
Not to brag, but our domain names come with amazing prices for all terms not just for 1 year. We offer free basic privacy protection, domain expiration policy, addon servers and easy domain transfer.
2. Domain Name Search
The next step is to perform a domain search for which, suffix tends to be the most important factor. Also, always choose the right domain name extensions, which are available as:
- Top-Level Domains (TLDs): domain name extensions like .com, .org, .net
- Country Code Top-Level Domains (ccTLD): Intended for a particular country like .eu, .uk
- Sponsored Top-Level Domain (sTLD): Intended for specific organizations or groups like .gov, .edu
3. Pick a Domain Name
Now that you have got the best domain name for your business, it’s time to finalize it by checking out. Always have an idea about the domain registration period as per the business needs, this time period can extend from 1 year to 10 years.
As soon as you navigate to checkout, you will have to specify the registration time along with an option to get a privacy protection add-on (if needed). After you provide all the details, complete the order right away.
4. Finish Domain Name Registration
Once you are done with the payment requirements, the control panel will show up on the screen, where you will be able to initiate the registration process. You have to provide correct details, particularly your name, address, and contact information as they will be stored in the official domain name ownership database.
5. Verify the Ownership
Last but not the least, verify your ownership through your email address. There will be an email from the domain registrar containing a link- click on it and verify your data.
Cost of Domain Registration
The cost to register a domain is based on the TLD you choose, such as .com or .net. The cost of each domain name will be displayed when you search for the domain name.
Tips and tricks on choosing best domain name
To get the perfect domain name, here are the following tips to take into consideration:
- Know your niche and choose the most suitable keywords.
- Keep it short and catchy so that the audience can remember it.
- Watch out for trademark infringement. Avoid using names similar to well-known brands.
- Avoid using numbers and hyphens in the URLs as they are difficult to communicate and remember.
- Use social media platforms to reserve names for your business to avoid other people using your business’s name.
- Think smart and for the future. Always choose such names that represent your goals and business’s reputation after 5 or 10 years.
Domain name registration has never been so easy before, the process has become so effortless and less time-consuming. All you need to do is to study your niche and get a domain name that explains your business and brings the audience to the right place.